Bennett & Guthrie is a law firm in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, concentrating in civil litigation, primarily representing businesses and insurance companies in defending actions involving commercial disputes, medical malpractice, nursing home liability, general and professional liability claims of all types, insurance coverage, employment issues, workers compensation, and a multitude of complex claims.
The firm's attorneys are experienced in alternative dispute resolution and take an active role in assisting clients in avoiding litigation whenever possible.
The firm's attorneys practice in the North Carolina state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels and are frequently called upon by attorneys from other states to serve as local counsel for their clients.
- Three Bennett & Guthrie attorneys were selected for inclusion in 2013 North Carolina Super Lawyers®:
Super Lawyers magazine recognizes the top attorneys in each state, as chosen by their peers and through independent research. Rising Stars names the state's top up-and-coming attorneys.
- Richard Bennett, Super Lawyers, Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice
- Roberta King Latham, Rising Stars, Civil Litigation Defense
- Joshua H. Bennett, Rising Stars, Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice
- Rod Guthrie has been selected to be included in Best Lawyers in America, 2013.
- Bennett & Guthrie is pleased to announce that Richard V. Bennett has been awarded the 2012 J. Robert Elster Award for Professional Excellence from the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, the highest honor given by that organization, in recognition of his professionalism, integrity, courteous conduct and extraordinary achievement.
- Joshua Bennett was recently elected Treasurer of the Forsyth County Bar Association for 2012-2013.
- In 2012, Richard V. Bennett was recognized by Martindale-Hubbell for achieving an AV rating, the highest rating available from Martindale-Hubbell, for 26 consecutive years.
- In July of 2012, Roberta King Latham received an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Roberta King Latham was recognized by Business North Carolina Magazine as part of the Legal Elite Young Guns. The 2012 Legal Elite Young Guns are North Carolina's best lawyers under 40 years of age as identified by their peers.
- Bennett & Guthrie was recognized by U.S. News & World Report in America's Best Law Firms for 2010 and 2011 in medical malpractice defense and personal injury litigation.
- Joshua Bennett recently finished his term as Chair of the Ethics and Grievance Committee of the 21st Judicial District Bar.
- Roberta King Latham was elected to the Board of Directors for North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (2011-2014) at the Annual Meeting of the association in June of 2011.
- The North Carolina Court of Appeals affirmed an entry of summary judgment obtained by Rod Guthrie and Kim Shipley, in favor of an Asheville real estate broker and her former agency where buyers of a $1.3 million property alleged misrepresentation, fraud and deceptive trade practices related to the age and condition of the property. The Court of Appeals' decision in that matter can be found here.
- After eight years of litigation and two trips to the appellate courts, the North Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court affirmed an entry of summary judgment in favor of a healthcare provider client which had been obtained by Richard Bennett and Joshua Bennett.